Lightning talks are tiny 10 minute presentations, that talk about a specific subject. Yukti has alloted 90 minutes to lightning talks by participants.
Lightning talks are:
- Easy. Really, they are. Just 10 minutes. not too much preparation. And no worries about bombing.. it's just 10 minutes!
- 10 minutes long. Not a minute more. We have strong muscled men with stop watches standing by with strict orders to drag down any speaker going past this limit. Seriously, try going for 11 minutes!
- On-topic. While you may be the expert on the process of oil-refinery in the post-industrial era, or know the intimate details of the latest bollywood scandals, this is not the place to talk about them. Your talk is related to the theme of the event - to enhance scientific temper. On the other hand, we're not very strict on this. So if you can give a scientific angle to those bollywood scandals, go for it. We just might accept it!
- Interesting. Your 10 minute talk should lead to an hour of discussion when you go back to the audience. Leave them wanting to go google things you talked about.
No other rules really. You can be as creative as you like. Just dont read out from a printout. Have a simple presentation ready in ppt or odf format. We'll provide a projector and a machine ready.
- Submit by sending a topic and a summary of your talk to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the subject "Lightning talk".
- Last date of submission: Feb 18th, 2011.
- Multiple entries accepted, and unless your talks are very compelling, we'll select only a single talk.
Lightning talks will be listed at the venue.